11 August 2009

Wolfland

If you are looking for a good read I highly recommend "Wolfland" by Tannith Lee. "Wolfland" re-imagines the Little Red Cap story set in 19th century Scandinavia. The story is included in Lee's short story collection Red as Blood or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer. This was the book that first got me interested in the darker versions of fairy tales that came before the sanitized versions of the Victorian era. I believe the collection is out of print now but check your local library system.

One interesting facet of this story is that it is set in a winter landscape. Typically the Little Red Cap tale is told in a Spring/Summer wood where flowers and other woodland delights tempt the heroine from her path.

This story perfectly coincides with the Ice Queen KAL currently happening at HPKCHC (another group I love on Ravelry). I used a precious ball of Rowan Kidsilk Night in Port, the added shimmer is beautiful, and topaz Swarovski bicones. Although Lisel, the heroine, wears a long red cloak with a golden clasp and a hood lined with brocade similar to one worn by her grandmother in her youth I can easily picture Anna, the Matriarch, in a opulent hood of blood red glittering with amber beads like the eyes of a wolf.


I'm so glad I waited to make this. I would have had a heck of a time with it last year. Even now I have to admit I made a few errors including finding a big hole that resulted from a decrease having slipped apart. Luckily the mohair hides a multitude of sins. Lack of perfection or not I think it is incredibly beautiful...beautiful enough to deserve a new coat or at least a charcoal grey sweater.

1 comment:

  1. Your Ice Queen is absolutely beautiful! It looks fabulous on you-totally perfect. I love the look of the IQ, but think it would be totally silly looking on me. You wear it like royalty!
    Your Housemate, Tangledskein

    ReplyDelete